Movicol - Powder Sachets Pack of 20
We are required by law to ask a few questions to ensure this medicine is suitable for the person it is intended for. This medicine is sold under the professional discretion of our pharmacists and therefore may be cancelled and refunded if our team is not satisfied with the information provided. Please ensure that you fill in answers for all products listed below.Movicol - Powder Sachets Pack of 20
Answer Questions (Required)
By submitting this order - "I confirm that I have read the information in this questionnaire and answered all questions correctly" (please review). "I will follow the advice given to me and read the product leaflet before use."
The pharmacy team may need to contact you by phone for additional information. Please ensure that the contact details you provide when you check out are correct.
Movicol - Powder Sachets
Pack of 20
Movicol powder is used to relieve:
- Chronic constipation.
- Build up of compressed and hardened stools (faeces) in the rectum as a result of chronic constipation (faecal impaction).
Containing macrogol (polyethylene glycol), which is a type of medicine known as an osmotic laxative, each Movicol sachet also contains sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride and potassium chloride. The contents of the sachets should be mixed with water to make a drink. Macrogol is an inert substance that passes through the gut without being absorbed into the body. It relieves constipation because it causes the water it is taken with to be retained in the bowel instead of being absorbed into the body. This increases the water content and volume of the stools in the bowel making them softer and easier to pass.
Sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride and potassium chloride (electrolytes) are included in each sachet to help ensure that the laxative works without causing the body to gain or lose significant amounts of sodium, potassium or water that are needed for proper functioning of the body.
How To Use:
This medicine can be taken at any time with or without food or drink
- A dose of Movicol laxative is 1 sachet.
- Take this 1 -3 times a day according to the severity of your constipation.
- A dose is 8 sachets a day of Movicol laxative is needed for the treatment of faecal impaction.
- The 8 sachets should be taken within 6 hours for up to 3 days if required.
- If you have a heart condition do not take more than 2 sachets in any one hour.
How to mix:
- Open the sachet and pour the contents into a glass. Add about 125ml or a quarter pint of water to the glass.
- Stir well until all the powder has dissolved and the Movicol solution is clear or slightly hazy, then drink it.
- If you are taking Movicol laxatives for faecal impaction it may be easier to dissolve 8 sachets in 1 litre of water.
Duration of treatment
- Treatment with Movicol laxatives usually lasts for about 2 weeks.
- If you need to take Movicol laxatives for longer, please see your doctor.
- If your constipation is caused by an illness such as Parkinson's disease or multiple sclerosis (MS), or if you take medicines that cause constipation your doctor may recommend that you take MOVICOL laxatives for longer than 2 weeks.
- Usually for long term treatment that dose can be lowered to either 1 or 2 sachets a day.
- Treatment with Movicol laxatives can be for up to 3 days.
If you take more Movicol laxative than you should:
- You may develop diarrhoea.
- Stop taking Movicol laxatives until it clears, and then start again at a lower dose.
- If you are worried contact your doctor or pharmacist.
If you forget to take Movicol laxatives:
Take the dose as soon as you remember to take it.
Do not take Movicol laxatives if your doctor has told you that you have:
- a blockage in your intestine (gut obstruction, ileus)
- a perforated gut wall
- severe inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease or toxic megacolon
- an allergy to the active substances or any of the other ingredients of Movicol laxatives
Follow the instructions in the directions tab if you are taking Movicol laxatives for faecal impaction
Pregnancy and breast feeding
If you are pregnant or breast feeding talk to your doctor before taking Movicol laxatives.
Driving and using machines
Movicol laxative does not affect your ability to drive or use machines.
Taking other medicines
Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, or have recently taken, any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
KEEP ALL MEDICINES OUT OF REACH AND SIGHT OF CHILDREN.
PLEASE READ ALL PRODUCT PACKAGING AND LABELS PRIOR TO USE,
Macrogol, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, Potassium Chloride, acacia solids, maltodextrin, lime oil, lemon oil, citral, citric acid and water.